Dr. Halisdemir started his business life selling ice cream on the beach at elementary school and worked afterwards at several jobs during his education. At the age of 18, while continuing high school, he started a business on the sale of uniforms and ceremonial clothing and trade of domestic appliances at high school. After his father’s sudden death and according to his will, he focused on his education, and worked at part-time jobs at banking and consultancy firms while studying finance.
He started his first full-time job at the end of 1995 at Alternatifbank as a Management Trainee, and then he undertook duties such as the membership of the inspection board, portfolio management of the head office, etc. After 3.5 years, he was assigned as the founding manager in 1999 to found the individual credits department. During the period he worked as the youngest executive in the sector until 2002, the made a significant contribution to Alternatifbank’s becoming the 6th largest bank in the sector in the field of individual services.
In 2002, he was transferred to Akbank, the 5th biggest bank in the field of individual banking in the sector at the time, as a business line manager and as of 2006, when the left office, he had made important contributions to Akbank’s leadership in individual banking. During that period, he became the originator of the system that enabled mobile loaning and developed it with his team. His bank won its first international prize thanks to that idea and practice and he and his team were rewarded.
Halisdemir, who had pioneered many innovations that made Akbank a leader in its sector when he left, was transferred to Vakıfbank as Deputy Director General. Halisdemir, who acted as a deputy director general responsible for retail baking, information technologies and corporate communication, also served as the member of the board of directors of Güneş Sigorta and Vakıf Emeklilik companies and as the chairman of the sports club and some affiliates. He made many innovations in Vakıfbank, which was the 5th biggest bank in the sector when he left.
In 2007, he was transferred to Çalıkbank as Director General, once more becoming the youngest executive in the sector. After he took office, he changed the name of the bank and led the application of the “new generation banking” model he invented at every level of his organization.
Halisdemir and his team made great contributions to the bank’s 77-fold growth and becoming one of the 10 most profitable banks and the largest privately owned investment bank of Turkey.
Aktif Bank, granted 55 international awards, became the most international award-winning organization in Turkey with not only financial success but also its performance in services and innovations and crowned its position with the “Most Innovative Bank of the World” award as a symbol of its exemplary stance. It was also included in the book published in the USA in 2013 titled “Financial Services Marketing” as a ‘case study’.
Halisdemir is still the Director General and the Member of the Board of Directors at Aktif Bank and also the Chairman of the Board of Directors of its affiliates.
His Leadership Life:
Halisdemir was elected the class captain every year from the elementary school until the senior year of high school.
He founded the “Organization of Young Economists”, which was the most active student organization of the university at the time.
He also entered politics during his university years upon a proposal he received and served at the youth section as executive on the district, province and country level. He organized the first “Turkish World University Students Summit” and for the first time, he brought the young party members together with the executives of the country and the private sector by serial meetings under the name of Academic and Political Education Seminars (ASES), making the young people prepare for the country management.
Halidemir’s leadership experience continued in his business life as well, and he became the youngest manager, deputy director general and director general in the years he served in the banking sector, which has an important place in his career. He also pioneered the foundation of several non-governmental organizations and acted as executive in those organizations.
He graduated from Fındıkzade Elementary School, Çapa Secondary School, Marmara University, City University Of New York, New York University and Upenn Wharton School, in chronological order. Halisdemir, who wrote many articles and theses on many topics, attended many national and international training courses.
Some of his innovations in the field of finance are as follows:
• He developed the system enabling granting loans via cell phones, which is still used in Turkey and around the world. He presented the project, which won an international award, at a conference in San Francisco. The application became a standard product used by the entire banking system.
• He led the implementation of the Mortgage Act as the head of the first mortgage work group of the Banks Association of Turkey. He was awarded a service plaque following the implementation of the law.
• The decreasing interest loan program he developed brought the bank one step ahead.
• He brought mobility to the real estate sector by uniting the Real Estate Investment Trust projects and their contractors under the “single interest and condition” program for the first time. This resulted in a boom of the real estate sales in the sector that had come to a standstill.
• In 2006, he led the development of the Istanbul Kart project as a member of Board of Directors of Mastercard Southern Europe and a protocol was signed with Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality to that effect.
• He designed the “New Generation Banking" model.
• He initiated the loan granting practice via PTT branches for a bank for the first time.
• He developed the first local money transfer system of Turkey under the name of UPT (Universal Money Transfer). This service gained Aktif Bank hundreds of thousands of customers.
• He realized Turkey’s first Asset-Based Security design and its issuance.
• He is the originator of the business platform called Aktif Nokta. This project, which has national and international patents, is used in over 2.000 workplaces and over 600.000 transactions are performed through it.
• He acted as the originator of many products and was deemed worthy of many awards in with texts and contents he prepared such as annuals reports, etc.